Enameling is often associated with jewelry or small decorative objects, but I use vitreous glass enamel as a painting medium. My “canvas” is copper, steel, or fine silver. I apply colors using transparent overlays over opaque grounds and build my surface from successive applications of glass with multiple kiln firings for each piece. My current studio is part of a large maker space at the Artisan’s Asylum in Somerville, MA where I have access to many shared shop tools in addition to my own enameling cubicle. My inspiration is from places visited and imagined, and I work freely focusing on colors, textures and organic forms.
Formally educated in painting, I discovered vitreous enamel in a public high school teaching context in 1980, and my painting techniques using vitreous enamel are largely self -taught. I continue to both paint in traditional watercolor and create jewelry. Each medium has unique challenges of mastery, but my expressive style remains consistent.
My satisfying lengthy career as a public school visual arts educator has a significant impact on my own creative art. I attribute some of my creative spontaneity to observing children at work.
I am a member of the international Enamelist Society and have academic degrees from Skidmore College and an MFA degree from Boston University. I have taken many workshops with masters of enameling, metalsmithing, and painting and continue to explore new possibilities.
- Boston University School for the Arts, Master Of Fine Arts with a dual concentration in painting and art education
- Skidmore College, Bachelor of Art in Fine Arts with a painting concentration.
- Tang Gallery Skidmore Alumni juried Art Exhibit
- Arc Arts juried show Peabody, MA
- Solo exhibit at Newton Free Library, Newton Centre, MA
- Enamel Society Juried Show, 2015 Montserrat College of Art Gallery
- Nave Gallery Somerville, MA juried show 2015
- New Art Center, Newton, MA 2015
- Imperial Jewelry Store, Somerville, MA 2015
- Gallery 111, Concord, MA 2015
- Artisans Asylum, Somerville, MA
- Watertown, MA Public Library featured artist exhibit, on person show March 2014
- City of Newton, MA, Mayor’s Office.
- Newton Cultural Center, Newton, MA
- Group Show School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA
- Mario’s Salon, Somerville, MA
- Columbus Cultural Arts Center, Enamels Conference Exhibit
- Newton, MA NewTV Cable television studio featured artist
- Brookline Arts Center, Enamels: Facing the Future: juried exhibit
- City of Newton: Open Studios
- Arlington Center for the Arts:Art teachers’ juried show
- Canadian Clay and Glass Gallery, Waterloo, Ontario -exhibit for the Enamelist Society
- Boston University Faculty/Alumni Art Exhibit, Fuller Gallery, Boston, MA
- Newton, Massachusetts -City of Newton Featured Artists Exhibit
- Gallery 333, Falmouth, MA
- Somerville Museum, Somerville, Massachusetts
- Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe College
- Liberty Gallery Invitational Exhibit, Louisville, Kentucky
- Carnegie Arts Center, Covington, Kentucky
- Sarah Squeri Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Concord, MA Art Association
Awards and Recognitions
- Fund for the Arts, Newton, MA – arts lottery grant to create enameled wallpiece.
- Skidmore College Art Fellowship Program (three weeks in the Summer).
- National Gallery, Washington DC, art teachers’ summer fellowship.